Monthly Archives: June 2015
SPRING ALLERGY GUIDE
If you suffer with seasonal allergies you know springtime brings challenges! Sneezing, itchy eyes, congestion, and fatigue during the spring are symptoms many allergy sufferers are familiar with. They are also signs that your body could use support as allergies are a barometer for the overall strength of your immune system. The heavier the immune burden, the more “allergic” a person tends to be and more strongly they may experience the symptoms. Working on up regulating the immune system will help to build strength and decrease a person’s sensitivity to their natural environment. Additionally, since the liver is responsible for clearing histamines in the body, eating foods that support the liver will increase your ability to clear out the histamines and offer symptom sufferers the relief they so desire. Here are some tips to help you through allergy season.
- Avoid over the counter allergy medications. They suppress symptoms instead of addressing the root cause of the problem.
- Avoid pro-inflammatory foods. Major culprits are dairy, sugar, gluten, and refined carbohydrates.
- Increase anti-inflammatory foods. Ex: foods high in omega 3 fatty acids, leafy greens, blueberries, fermented vegetables, garlic, ginger, turmeric, and green tea.
- Incorporate local honey in to your diet all year long.
- Eat an overall diet that includes protein with each meal and good fats such as olive oil, coconut oil, butter, seeds, and nut butters.
- Reduce stress and increase rest.
- Minimize exposure to known allergens. Avoid mold and mildew. Shower after being outdoors on high pollen days.
- Stay hydrated. Drink half your weight in ounces per day.
- Talk with Dr. Shaw about whole food and homeopathic supplement options.
Dr. Shaw likes to use Antronex, Allerplex, and Allergy homeopathy spray for patients suffering with allergy symptoms. Talk with her today to see what she would recommend for you.